Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
Advantages of implant
- Improved appearance.Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech.With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort.Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating.Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem.Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health.Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability.Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
What is the procedure?
It is a two step process: implant placement followed by implant restoration.
The first step is fitting your titanium or titanium alloy implant ( often called implant placement) and the implant is left to fuse with the jaw bone. The second step is fitting the replica tooth/crown to the implant ( also called implant restoration). For dentures, the second step involved fitting the dentures to the implants.
Who can carry out this procedure?
Dentists at Bright Smile Dental are experienced in the second step of the implant process which is implant restoration. That is, they will refer their patient to Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon to place the implant, but the patient will then return to the original practice to have the replica tooth fitted to the implant.